440.238.2550   /   800.557.0064   /   sales@weschler.com
analog meters, digital meters, transducers, signal conditioners, data loggers and test instrumentation
Home | About Us | What's New | Industries | Weschler Products | All Products | Meter Mod Center | Reference | Contact | Site
Weschler History


 

Bringing You the Best in Measurement & Control since 1941.

 


                                Weschler Electric 1960

In 1941, Mel Weschler started Weschler Electric as a meter repair shop located in Cleveland, OH. The company gradually expanded to offer meter modification and calibration services. It became a Mod Center for Triplett and Simpson brands before David Hughes Sr. purchased the business in 1965. Mr. Hughes was VP of Sales for Hickok at the time, and had previously worked at Simpson. Weschler Electric then added the distribution of RCA and Hickok test equipment as well as Empro shunts and Midwest Transformers.

             1965 Product Brochure
 

                                                       Major Weschler Products - 1970
 


1981 Weschler Electric Catalog, showing new Cleveland headquarters.

Over the next 10 years, Weschler grew to be the largest Mod Center in the country for Westinghouse meters.  When Westinghouse decided to sell their panel meter business in 1975, Weschler seized the opportunity to further expand their meter business. Needing a larger facility to handle the additional business, Weschler built their present headquarters building in 1978.

In the early 1980s, the company purchased several product lines from General Electric. When Westinghouse decided to divest their switchboard meter business in 1984, Weschler opened a manufacturing and technical support facility in Coral Springs FL for this line.

 

 

                           Weschler Coral Springs 1985

In the late 1980s, Weschler Electric established an electronics design group to develop proprietary digital instruments. To emphasize the shift into electronic equipment, the company name was changed to Weschler Instruments. The first Weschler Bargraph products were introduced in 1989. This line expanded in the early 1990s with the introduction of custom versions for military applications. Products were also qualified for use in nuclear generating plants around the world.  To improve response. time, the design group moved to the Coral Springs facility in the mid 90s.

 

                                         Coral Springs Manufacturing
 

With the passing of David Hughes Sr. in 1995, his sons Dave and Doug, who had been involved in the business since the early 70s, jointly took over leadership of the company. In 1996, an experimental Bargraph project for substation monitoring resulted in the development of the Transformer Guardian product line. The Transformer Advantage, a second generation product for this application, was introduced  in 1999. 

Weschler experienced significant growth with the acquisition of the Transcat/EIL/Metermaster Measurement and Control business in 2002. In 2011, Ryan Hughes and Matt Hughes joined Weschler as the third generaton of the Hughes family to lead the company.  Weschler Instruments now operates two production and distribution facilities as well as sales offices in 5 states. Weschler is both a manufacturer and a distributor of major brands of measurement, display, process control and test equipment.